Oh bla de oh bla da, life goes on blah

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Oh bla de oh bla da, life goes on blah

At the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, I was in a condo with educated, successful women and a couple of buddies who had their own businesses in NYC and around the world. The girls were a combination of artists and lawyers. A semi well-known female designer was helping cook breakfast with one of the guys who happened to owned a chain of restaurants.

She was in charge of making tea - so she filled the pot with water but then she couldn't figure out how the stove worked. I told her to turn the knob towards "light." When it started clicking she looked surprised and asked "What is that?" I said "relax, that's the pilot light." As the stove lit up I had to help her adjust the flame to fit the pot. I was amazed at how much I had to explain to get her to boil some water. I was tempted to further explain how fire worked to create heat, etc.

So my question is - Do you think this is an endearing "Act" designed to make men feel smart and useful or is this a sign that pretty women can go through life not knowing anything?

11 Comments:

At February 23, 2006 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cass:

I don't think she was faking it...in fact I can give you 2 similar instances: a) when I moved to NYC, I could turn my stove to "broil" but couldn't figure out how to make the over heat. Apparently I was supposed to Push the knob in for the oven, but just turn it for broil (and I am a member of Mensa);

b) a very bright friend of mine in Chicago bought a 'hot' television and had if for a year--watching it in black & white the whole time! A friend visited him one time, and said Why don't you turn up the "color" dial for color?

I rest my case

Malcolm Mclain

 
At February 23, 2006 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just don't know the answer to this one. Many women are accustomed to electric stoves - many men are familiar with camping stoves that use gas - many people know about both gas and electric stoves - some people don't give a damn about either, so.......who cares? To each his or her own.

 
At February 23, 2006 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I either think the girl was a complete idiot or she only has used electrical stoves. However, I tend to lean towards the girl was a complete idiot.

 
At February 23, 2006 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I am sure she knows the differnce between toast and bread. Toast is crunchy.

 
At February 23, 2006 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is she from? In Europe in some contries they use mostly the electrical stoves, I did the same thing 6 year ago when I came to US. My mom did the same, and believe me she knows the kitchen so well...

 
At February 23, 2006 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

na.... she is just a typical new yorker who has never spent much time in the kitchen.....

 
At February 23, 2006 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sure she can tell the fucking difference between a mercedes and a bmw. and she probably wonders why she's single.

 
At February 23, 2006 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well it can be amazing for some of us but it was the same amazing for me how an aducated women didnt know how to platn a simple flower. she didnt even know if you are supposed to put it in soil or not. well i guess it just depends in what enviroments did we grow up. maybe she always used an electric stove or ate only in the restaurants?
so many people dont know how to sew a button which for me seems very simple but there are so many things that i dont know how to do.
sometimes its just better to teach and not to judge.

 
At February 24, 2006 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it can be either:

1. Making you feel good.
A friend of mine, who's an extremely intelligent business woman, is also a specialist in making men feel "masculine, strong and smart". It's quite funny. She turns into this helpless blonde when there's men around that she's interested in (no, she doesn't do it in a business situation). And to my surprise, it works too...

2. She's European and has never used a gas stove.

 
At February 24, 2006 6:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell us stories about a women you respect. It's more interesting and gives us hope that they exsist.

 
At February 26, 2006 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can lead a deb to water but you can not make her think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home